Today, many industries are moving to a paperless environment. Particularly with those dealing with high levels of paper volume, an intelligent approach is needed to manage costs, classify these documents and make them searchable.
A capture solution consists of acquiring documents, associating document pages, assigning metadata, automating address exceptions and archiving to a repository. These logical steps are usually components or modules within the capture software, and are the basic building blocks, or DNA, of a properly designed ECM capture solution.
While researching scanning solutions, you should get samples of all the documents that need to be scanned and ask:
- Who needs to view these documents once they are scanned?
- Is there an existing document management system, database or other custom application that will be used?
- What information will they need to be able to locate the document?
- For forms, what information must be data entered from each document?
- Does this information appear on the document? Is it barcode, text, handprint or check box?
- Can the document be modified to add this information? Via barcode? Text? Handprint field? Check box?
- Does the information appear in the same location on each document?
- Is there a database available that already has some of the information you need?
- Are the people that need to use the scanning system located centrally or remotely?
- What is my estimated monthly or annual scanning volume?
|Annual Costs||Average Company
|19 Cents per document||8 cents per document||$135,000 per
|1.5 million documents||1.5 million documents|
|$285,000 total||$120,000 total|
|Error remediation for
|22 errors per 1,000||10 errors per 1,000|| $540,000 per
|330,000 total errors||150,000 total errors|
|$3.00 to fix an error||$3.00 to fix an error|
|$990,000 total||$450,000 total|
|Time spent on
|4.1 minutes per document||45 seconds per document|| $2.5 million per
|102,500 man hours per day||18,750 man hours per day|
|51 full time employees||9.4 full time employees|
|$3 million in total salary /
|$564,000 million in total salary /
Total Potential Annual Savings